Saturday, August 15, 2009

Brengle Reflection 2 (6/8/09)

Today we were asked the question why we think that holiness is no longer a prominent theme in The Salvation Army today; which is historically a part of the Holiness Movement? A number of potential causes were raised, from the move away from Holiness Meetings (Sunday & mid-week) to changes in theological perspectives.

Upon reflection, my feeling is that one reason (among many, I'm sure) may be related to the way Salvationists view themselves. There is a pervasive lack of self-esteem or self-worth among Salvationists that doesn't reflect the image of God among His chosen people. If our self-image is shaped by the patterns of this world, then our worship, discipleship, evangelism will be a response to this image. However, if our self-image has been transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit, and we see ourselves as Saints of God, sanctified and free from the bondage of sin, then it stands to reason that our worship, discipleship, evangelism will take on a different flavour.

I am also interested in the impact that the over-emphasis by some evangelicals on the total depravity of humanity, even after salvation. Although, I am well aware of my humanity and my inherent sinful nature, I also believe that I have been set free from the bondage of sin by the grace of God and live in victory by the power of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, I embrace the privilege and call to holy living as a major theme for my life, as I am convinced that God has "given me everything I need for life and godliness". Living out of a place of victory (even though I am still a sinner by nature), reshapes my pattern of thinking and increases my desire to pursue a life that reflects what Christ has done in me. However, if I live out of a constant state of defeat, then holiness seems unattainable and a theme too confronting for my spiritual journey.

Apply this theory to Salvation Army worship and ministry, it is easy to see how the theme of holiness can subtly diminish as we minister to people who perpetually struggle with their self-image and their view of God and the church. I am discerning a mis-alignment in our church between our knowledge of salvation and our belief in the actual power of salvation. Do we really believe that God can and will bring full salvation (to every area of life) to those who call on His name? Or do we see the Christian life as a continual struggle that will one day be resolved when we go to heaven?

Although, holiness is both a crisis and a journey requiring the perpetual grace of Jesus Christ, it can be a reality today, if we really believe that Jesus has "given us everything we need for life and godliness" to fulfil His call to "be holy, as [God] is holy".

No comments:

Post a Comment